Warning:
Totally not for those on diet
We went up north last week during the 3 day weekend. Sangat fun with beautiful view along the way. Intended for Ipoh only but ended up spending one night in Penang and the other in Alor Setar. Tujuan utama, business for the husband and ambrosia fulfilment for me.
I googled first what were famous local delicacies, though I was pretty much familiar with Penang, and cuba utk try them during our meal times. Takkan pergi jalan, makan nasi goreng biasa yg memang ada kat kedai tepi rumah kan? Or room service hotel? Sgt tak adventurous. So if you locals think, 'biasa ja tempat-tempat ni' or 'kami org sana tak pi la makan situ' well it'll be just like me not eating sate kajang everyday, it's supposed to be enjoyed once in awhile made especially for tourists. Let's begin the journey.
Ipoh
I know of 2 renowned eateries: Nasi Ganja and mee rebus ramli.
Since we were still full from lunch, I opted for mee rebus said to be the 'best in Malaysia'
Found the place excitedly, too bad it was closed for Malaysia day. I was totally frustrated and that is why we ended up in food haven of Malaysia: Penang. We didn't even bother to consider a night at Tambun, it would surely be jam packed.
Penang
I have always had a soft spot for Penang. Sometimes, when it's hazy or I'm swamped with work, my mind would wander far to Penang. I never grow tired of that place.
After having lotsa hawker food at Padang Kota and Nasi Kandar Line Clear last new year, I suggested Nasi Kandar Beratur this time. We were shocked to see the spiralling line. I think it was approximately 200 metres. Clearly it was the best choice but at that moment, sgt tidak sesuai utk ibu yg ada 2 boisterous boys and an rumbling tummy. So seperti biasa: Line Clear! Hazim asked for curry lebih, saying that even though it was hot and spicy, this is the best.
The next day, we headed straight to Chulia street for world class naan bread and biryani at Kapitan. Finger licking. Pictures are proof. Then, Chow Rasta for jeruk and souvenirs. No space left for Penang street Cendol.
Saw my dream car at Tanjung Bungah.
A white Panamera.
Insya Allah
I can never get enough of Batu Feringghi
On our journey back to KL on Sunday, we stopped over at Sg Dua for Mee Udang. I literally licked the bowl. The prawns were really fresh and only rm7.
Alor Setar
I am a sucker for old cities and Kedah has been around for centuries. We decided to go to Alor Setar because I have only been there once and I was sure it is less hectic than Penang. It was. Alor setar offers good food, very nice and friendly people and abundance of historical landmarks. Too bad we were only there overnight. I would really have loved going to Bukit Kayu Hitam (for obvious reasons), rumah Che Det, check out Laksa Teluk Kechai and went to the foothills of Gunung Jerai. Alas, time envied us but the little time spent was delightful and memorable. I will totally go again when I have forgotten how my two boys behave on long distance drives.
Before reaching Alor Setar, we stopped for prayers at R&R Gurun and I sempat rasa Laksa Gunung Jerai and Roti Kedah. Laksa sedap but slightly salty but roti kedah adalah different. Kinda like roti john but with chunks of meat and extra spice.
It rained when we arrived. So we went straight to the hotel my cousin who used to study at MRSM Pendang recommended, Holiday Villa. Nice place. The kids loved that it had a bath tub and Husband took advantage of its gym.
The view from our room.
Dinner that night was at Nasi Lemak Hj Ali. Not your typical nasi lemak but different in a delicious way. Husband had 2 plateful. It has been around for years and I swear the founder looked like an Indian version of P Ramlee.
Look at Hazim with curry.
Adik succumbed to slumber after a long journey and a plate of Nasi lemak.
At the table.
And you can't leave Alor Setar without checking out Pekan Rabu.
I bought more kerepek here, dodol for everyone, serunding and toys.
They make kuih karas on the spot.
I love it tapi makannya agak messy.
We discovered this at the food court.
Jagung Special
Its sweet corn ice blended with ice cream.
Creamy
That was basically how our Northern trip went. Sangat best. I'd go again sometime. Next destination the upcoming year end holidays would be: Johor! Another eating galore fest. Insya Allah.
Next post?
Hazim's Birthday
















No comments:
Post a Comment